Becoming a Worthy Cause
Applying to be a B1G1 Worthy Cause is easier than you'd think :)
This is a summary of what the process looks like:
1) Complete the application form.
2) The B1G1 Giving Board evaluates your application ( within 8 weeks of application).
3) Our team will get in touch with you to inform you of the decision. If your application has been approved, we will then assist you in listing your projects on the B1G1 platform ( within 3 days).
There is no cost for the application or membership for Worthy Causes since the operation of B1G1 is fully funded by the Business Membership Program. The duration of this process depends on the availability and quality of your submitted documents and information.
Note: The information below is not exhaustive and may change from time to time. Please refer to the Application page for the most accurate application criteria.
Step 1) Application
To ensure the most efficient giving, B1G1 only works with approved charities/NGOs that meet our unique criteria listed below. We strive to be as transparent as possible in our operations and will keep you informed throughout the entire application process. If you have any questions regarding the criteria or your (possible) application, then please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also view our terms for more information.
- Charity Registration Certificate
- Latest 2 years of Audited Account Reports
- Latest Organisation Annual Report
- General organisational information
- General organisational information of the partners you work with
- Project information
- Website and social media links
- Name and email address for each board member
Step 2) Review by the board
LEVEL 1 CRITERIA
The B1G1 Giving Board expects that each Worthy Cause applicant will meet all or virtually all of the following requirements:
- Has registered charity status in at least one country (verified by current paperwork)
- Registered and operating at least three years, with a preference for organisations that are at least five years old
- Is authorised to receive international funding
- Has minimum annual income in donations and grants of USD $100,000.
- Can supply audited accounts for the previous two fiscal years
- Can supply latest annual report
- Can supply future audited accounts and annual report within 10 months of the end of year financial year
- Is operating efficiently to deliver the benefits and services they provide
- Is supporting a sizeable number of beneficiaries in the last year
- Has activities that are tangible for B1G1 Business Members, with clear cost data available so projects can be broken down into small units (e.g. “We provide a family in Malawi with clean water for a year for $25” or “We plant 1 tree for $3.50”)
- Activities are not associated with the purpose of spreading a specific religion (B1G1 works with organizations of all backgrounds in an inclusive manner. However, we do not support the promotion of a specific religion as a Worthy Cause project)
- Has activities which are sustainable in the long-term.
- Has a website with up-to-date information
- Can communicate efficiently in English and responds within fewer than 7 working days between communication
LEVEL 2 CRITERIA
In addition to the Level 1 criteria, the Board will tend to favour (though they are not necessary) a Worthy Cause applicant that meets one or more of the following additional criteria:
- Operates in a country with few active B1G1 Worthy Causes (see here)
- Has or can obtain tax relief status in countries where B1G1 Business Members are located (e.g. Australia, UK, USA)
- Has active information distribution (such as newsletters, videos, great website, blogs)
- Is able and willing to provide additional resources to B1G1 and B1G1 Business Members (pictures, stories, acknowledgment, etc.)
- Is willing to help facilitate potential visits from B1G1 and B1G1 Business Members
- Has the endorsement of one or more B1G1 Business Members
Step 3) Onboarding
After collecting all the information, the B1G1 Giving Board will make a decision your application. A member of the B1G1 Giving team will reach out to inform you of the decision.
If you are successful, we will then begin the onboarding process which consists of:
- Filling in your public B1G1 profile
- Listing your projects
- Confirmation of organisational and financial details
I do not have audited financial statements, can I still apply for the B1G1 Worthy Cause Program?
Audited financial statements are a mandatory requirement for the program application. If you would like us to assess your application first (to see if your application will be approved) before committing to a review or an audit, please contact us at email@example.com
What are the benefits of being a B1G1 Worthy Cause partner?
Being a B1G1 Worthy Cause partner means that you now have access to a cost-free way to connect with small businesses and individuals in a host of different countries that may be interested in donating to your cause. We will help you describe your organisation’s programs in a highly meaningful and motivating way to our members.
Once your organization is approved and registered, the process is effortless: B1G1 administers any contributions from members and remits 100% of donated funds to your organisation (we also top up the credit card processing fees deducted by the banks).
What do we need to do to remain part of the B1G1 Worthy Cause Program?
The ongoing commitments required from you can be found in Requirements of the Worthy Cause Program.
The application page is not working for me, how else can I send my documents over?
Do reach out to us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will do our best to rectify the issue online. If we are not able to resolve the online application issue, we will send a Word document copy of the application form via email.